Saturday, July 25, 2015

July Update!

Hello!

I am in the Bay Area this summer, and even though I don't have any art classes I am still allocating some time to practice what I've learned (almost) everyday :) I definitely feel I've improved a bit after spending more time on each piece and also becoming more patient. Honestly, drawing a box and then drawing into it was not really working for me, so instead I had myself be more conscious of the size of my drawings to make sure I got everything I wanted down on paper, then putting a box around it after. I think it works better for me (although in this case I probably need a couple more passes to fix things compositionally but I do like drawing this way for pure observational purposes!). I've also emphasized working more on the angles between lines and stuff in order to get my proportions correct (rather than perspective), and focusing a lot more on shapes and negative space. There are still random floating objects (bad habit aha), but I think it has been working well for me so far!

Using a grey pen has definitely gotten me more comfortable and confident with using a pen! Originally I got the grey pen so that I could do some value studies on top of my line drawings (and then the lines would be less visible) but... most of my drawings haven't gotten to that stage yet aha. So I'll just show the line drawings I have for now, and then I do eventually plan to go back and refine these drawings, maybe work on rearranging the compositions and then do several lighting studies on top (maybe this will be my goal for the next month). Looking at what I wrote last month... I found that a lot of the things I mentioned I was actually able to practice and work on! So hopefully by writing this down I will actually get around to doing it for this month too haha.

At the end of my time here I plan to put together a portfolio of all the drawings I've done up here, and refine each of my drawings (just like we do for CDA!). I thought it would be a neat project for me to look forward to (and to help me reflect on my time/drawings here and also improve!). Anyways, I'm just rambling now but that's what I have in store for the next couple months!

Here are my drawings!












1 comment:

  1. Whoaaa! didn't know you did so many sketches! some of these are SUPER detailed. And I don't follow all your art terminology, but they sound really cool :)

    ReplyDelete