Thursday, October 1, 2015

August/September Update

Hello!

Here are my drawings over August and September. I've been pretty busy so I wasn't able to compile a post for August but I think I've been drawing pretty consistently still! I actually focused a bit more on figure drawing throughout August (twas getting tired of the Santa Clara area!), but a trip to San Francisco and the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle) rejuvenated my environment sketching spirit! 

 A trip to the beach was very rejuvenating. I ended up unintentionally going to the beach 3 days in a row, all different ones (saying this makes me feel pretty hip lol, which is why I'm saying it now...). Definitely a great place to draw people though! 

sitting on the 2nd floor of the Caltrain is a great place to draw people without getting noticed:
 

I expanded my sketches to include not just one building but to try and capture the environment as a whole, and although my San Francisco sketches turned out a bit messy I was pretty happy with them on the day of because I felt I captured the movement and noise of the city. (I think doing a lot of gesture figure drawing helped me out there, and I also took an online workshop with Steve Huston which was very informative!). 

San Francisco:                                        Random Farmer's Market I went to, not chronological. I think                                                                I tried to make a story with the people and environment here.
      

After my classes ended I went on vacation to visit friends in Seattle and Portland! it was sooooo fun. I started out my Pacific Northwest journey a little messily (it was soo windy in Seattle and I had a hard time figuring out what to draw)! 

sooo windy:                                                                        view from friend's posh apt:
 
artist (me) drawing an artist at work (spray-painting in Seattle) + dog:

I ended up being able to get one decent drawing in Seattle and one in Portland so I was pretty satisfied! I've gotta say I really like Portland though such an awesome and hipster place!! Definitely hope to capture more of that hipster-ness on my next trip there.


I also drew some pictures on the back of postcards for my friends :) :


Quite poetically, my grey pen ran out of ink on what is probably to be my last environment drawing up here, and on a drawing of the building I was stuck in for the past several months. I probably subconsciously made it turn out that way, haha! Another reason for that though is because I wasn't able to find a place to buy the Hi-Tec Grey Pens up here. I ended up buying a light grey marker in Portland's Blick though (yay no sales tax!), so I started adding marker back into my drawings yay! (bc I ran out of my light marker colors, and I only had my dark ones left, but they were too dark so they intimidated me, but now that I have the light intermediary I feel comfortable venturing out again haha. Baby steps!!)

Goodbye Lucas Hall!! Hope I (never) see you again!! (Just kidding) 


That's all for now! Looking back over these past couple months I'm definitely happy with the progress I've made. This blog has been really helpful in keeping me motivated and reflecting on myself as well! Look forward to my continued posts!!





No comments:

Post a Comment